The program for this 1840’s Greenwich Village townhouse redefined it as a spatially interconnected contemporary residence for a young family. The idea of circulation as a public ‘street,’ in which family members encounter each other as they go about their daily routines, informs the organization of the house. Large landings at the south end of the circulation space act as places to interact. All other programmatic elements are kept to the west side of the house, allowing the sky-lit eastern circulation ‘street’ to vertically connect spaces throughout the house. The services of the building are contained within a vertical core which also defines the transition between open and closed spaces.
AIA New York City Design Award 2012